Support QRP CoA Everywhere

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Dog walkers and antennas do not mix!

Just getting some new hi viz wire after a small incident...

At w/e was on a beach minding my own business, loads of space between me the antenna and the next human being.... what could possibly go wrong. Sun had been up for a bit and some activity on the bands even on 17m this morning, getting ready to call it a day. Que arrival on the beach of muppett dog walker .... dog has one of those extended leads, and airhead girlfriend in tow. I can see them walking down the beach and why do they change direction and walk towards me ???

Sadly no matter what you do I am sure whatever you put up will never stop some pratt with his dog who will always trip or tangle in the guys, feeder and wires no mater how deserted a beach it is, they always come and take a look and want to talk about what it is, the fact I have moved away from where anyone would normally walk the dog was obviously not enough of a hint!

"Is that mobile phone mast?"  she asks... so explain no it is for amateur radio... had a qso with EA8 so explain just chatted to someone in Tenerife.... "oh my friend Tracey just went there...", I feel it is time to give up and boy friend obviously wants to walk on (probably thought I was fishing)... oh god why are some people beyond hope!

The inevitable then happens ... dog gets one leg then another caught on a guy (yes i had tied them up but that made no difference), panic ensues, owner doing nothing to help laughs at dogs misfortune and yanks the leash, dog bolts and mast comes down, with dog trailing the wires behind them needless to say radio was not connected but I do have the coax where I sit securely anchored.... Dog comes to an abrupt halt in 50m or so complete with yelps. I go untangle mutt and retrieve my antenna. The pole is a right off. Dog owner then starts  to have a go for hurting their dog... in a dog trap! ggrrr... I hate dog walkers on beaches brainless muppetts!

1 comment:

M1KTA said...

Not anti dog, not anti dog walking but why when it is obviously not the safest thing to do does a dog walker allow a dog on a lead to wander up to and about a vertical antenna support and guys?

Showing interest of our hobby is a good thing but I am sure it is not just me that thinks this was just not sensible dog ownership.

If someone (i.e. me!) were to put up their antenna on a path/beach or where people obviously walk then fine you are asking for trouble. But away from the general path people use and yet they still approach makes no sense.

Anyway RX a comment that I was anti dog (that I will not post as it contains swearing) but I will comment as I see people are reading this.